The Archival Collections at the University of Hawaiʻi School of Law Library are located at
2525 Dole St. Honolulu, HI 96822
Circulation Desk: (808) 956-7583
Archives: (808) 956-2867
Archives Email: ellenrae[at]hawaii[dot]edu
Step 1: Prepare a Research Appointment
- If you are looking for something, enter keywords in the search box. When you find something in the search results, identify any keywords, or which collection, series # and/or folder # your item is located in.
- Not everything is digitized and made publically available due to copyright, privacy or sensitivity issues. To gain full Researcher Access to this database please contact the Archives Manager at ellenrae[at]hawaii[dot]edu for User assistance. If you encounter error pages when you click on a link on any of our indexes, or fail to access abundant results in your search, please contact the Archives Manager to set up log in credentials to access item records marked private due to copyright, privacy, and sensitivity concerns.
- All items may be accessible in person by scheduling a meeting with the Archives Manager and by completing a Researcher Registration Form (pdf).
- Items can be viewed when the Archives Manager, or another qualified staff member, is on duty. Hours of access can be scheduled on Sunday-Thursday between the hours of 1:30 pm-8:30 pm (during Academic Semesters), and Monday-Friday between the hours 11:00am-5:30pm (during Summer or Winter Breaks). Please contact the circulation desk at 808-956-7583 if you have any questions about our hours.
Step 2: When You Come In
- Submit your Researcher Registration Form (pdf).
- Please prepare to submit a form of collateral (ID, credit card, etc.) to begin researching in the archives. It will be returned once your appointment is completed.
- Please help us protect the longevity of our collections: No food, beverages, or gum chewing is allowed during the use of the archival material.
- Follow the staff to the designated Archives research space to begin researching the collections.
- No back packs, bags, purses, pens, highlighters or ink-based writing instruments are allowed in the Archives research space. The Archives Manager can provide you a pencil and paper upon request.
- After submitting your researcher registration form, the Archives Manager may interview you about your research question to help identify which items in the archive could be useful to you. Please review the Collection Finding Aid and index to tell the Archives Manager which items you want to look at.
- The Archives Manager will bring out the items. You can only view 1 item at a time.
- Archival material must be kept in the same order in which they are found.
- Archival material must not be altered in any way.
- All material must be returned to the Archives Manager when the research is done.
- Staff can assist with scanning or copying archival material.
Step 3: Accessing the Desired Items
- When you come across an item record that you are interested in looking at, look for the "identifier," which represents initials of the archival collection, box number and folder number. This information corresponds to its physical location in Intensive Storage. Please request assistance from the Archives Manager or Law Library circulation desk for physical access.